Please visit the new blog...

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit me at http://www.lesliemaddox.com.

Friday, December 21, 2007

The Veil

I lost my veil. Sometime during preparations to combine households, packing boxes, temporarily moving in with a friend, it just disappeared. The dress, slip, jewelry were all accounted for…but my veil managed to find a very good hiding place. I wasn't as calm as I sound. How could it be that I lost what is to me the most important piece of a bride’s trousseau? For days it hurt just to think about it. I prayed for its reappearance with the fervor of an overwhelmed bride.

Even more than the dress, the veil to me is what makes one a bride. After all, how often does a woman have the opportunity to wear a veil? Numerous opportunities may arise for wearing a white dress, but the opportunity to wear a veil and not be in costume is pretty much once in a lifetime. I had a conversation with my sister-in-law about veils and we agreed that brides that choose a short veil are simply cheating themselves. This unique opportunity calls for as much drama as a veil allows!

Part of the reason that the veil is so special to me is that it is a physical reminder of a spiritual truth. You see, on this side of heaven, I will not truly see Jesus in all His glory. Just as I saw my groom through the film of my veil as I walked down the aisle, the veil of humanity limits my understanding of my heavenly Bridegroom even as I draw closer to Him. I can enjoy Jesus’ Presence in my life now, just as I enjoy the company of my groom. But there came the time that my father lifted my veil to present me to my future husband. As the veil rose and I clearly saw Garrett's handsome face, I looked forward to the day that my heavenly Father will lift the veil of humanity and bring me into a more intimate relationship with my heavenly Groom.

By the way, it all worked out. I was able to get a new veil and, wouldn’t you know it, a few weeks later the original veil reappeared. As the veil was placed on my head I was prepared for drama - I truly felt like a bride!

“Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.”1 Corinthians 13:12

1 comment:

taralynn819 said...

hey! just linked to you from LPM blog, and it's funny, my husband and i met online as well (in a weird random way) and then also met officially at a coffee shop! so crazy how God works sometimes! :)

tara