Please visit the new blog...

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit me at http://www.lesliemaddox.com.

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Knock, Knock, Who's There?

I am in the interview process with Edward Jones. I've passed the initial 2 phone interviews and background check. Today I completed the next step in the process. It is the experience of being out in the field. I had to go door to door with a simple survey. I went to businesses and residential homes around where I live and ask them questions about how long they have lived here, what do they like about the area, etc. I will tell you that I had a good time doing it except for a few things.

1) The inital look of "Oh crud, what is he up to?" from the people I approached - You know that look because we've all been in that situation.

2) People not being home. - I had knuckle cramps from all that knocking.

3) Not having the ability to tell them who I represent. - I think it would have disarmed them quicker had they known who was asking me to do the surveys.

Once the interviewee knew I wasn't trying to be shady everything went fine.

I know how frustrating it is when someone knocks on your door to try and sell something to you. Edward Jones' corner stone of success is doing the door to door approach. Once hired they will train me how to be successful with talking with prospective clients.

Now I want to hear from you. What do you think makes a good or bad salesman? Any input would be helpful because I want to try and avoid those things that turn people off.