Please visit the new blog...

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit me at http://www.lesliemaddox.com.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Back in the saddle again!

If you would have told me 10 years ago that I would be a student again, I would have laughed in your face. But, here I am studying (if not cramming) in a community college library. Welcome to my fantastic summer vacation.

Being around academia takes me back to the days at The University of Texas (Hook 'em!). Back then I was just a kid and such a party animal. Focusing on my studies was low on the priority list. Don't get me wrong, I got decent grades, but could have done so much better.

Being a middle school teacher for 12 years has given me a better perspective on school. I've heard a ton of excuses from my students (some of them I had used myself at that age) and they all sound lame to me. It more sounded like whining. I've caught myself chewing kids out for not taking school seriously. How ironic for a person like me huh?

Now that I have the opportunity to "go back to school", I have put my whole heart into it. I've been reading, making note cards, reviewing, and taking chapter tests. The magical thing I have discovered is studying works! It is a REVELATION!! Well, at least for me.

It hasn't hurt my efforts to have a successful studier in the family to give me some tips (That would be my lovely Leslie). She has been so supportive and helpful with this transition. I couldn't have done it without her.

I hope to be able to take my first exam in about 5 weeks. Wish me luck or better yet, give me some tips. What have you done to help you cram? Any extra insight would be highly appreciated!