Please visit the new blog...

This blog is no longer being updated. Please visit me at http://www.lesliemaddox.com.

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Works For Me: Prayer Journal

I like to journal my prayers during my quiet time, otherwise my mind will drift from, "Father, thank you for blessing me in so many ways," to, "Should I wear heeled or flat sandals with that skirt?" Writing helps me stay focused.

I usually buy my own journals, but my former Sunday School class gave me my favorite journal of all time. We'd spent some time studying the names of God, so one of the class members pasted the names we covered with their meanings into the inside cover of a journal. With this handy-dandy list, I started opening my prayers each day using one of the names of God. I started at the first name listed and rotated through the entire list. It was amazing how often the name for that day reminded me of the part of God's character that I needed in that moment. With Jehovah Mekadesh, I was reminded to ask God to sanctify my attitudes. Calling Him Jehovah Jireh reminded me that God provides me of Himself. And saying "Jehovah Shalom" reminded me that He will give me peace if my sould would cling to Him. It works for me!


Go to http://www.rocksinmydryer.net/ for more tips!

5 comments:

Missy said...

Ok, that's cool. What a great way to start off my morning prayers. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I had never thought to journal my prayers. I tend to get sidetracked with my own thoughts too. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Anonymous said...

I journal my prayers, too and it sure does make a difference. I'd love to have a copy of the different names of God in my journal, too. That is a great idea. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a wonderful journal. I like to journal my prayers also. I do not do it all the time but I do it often.

taralynn819 said...

I love reading your blog. You're so fun!